Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Chocolate Ice Cream Sweetened with Agave Nectar

It's the height of summer and what is better on a hot day than ice cream?  But if you're on a sugar free or low sugar diet ice cream is on the avoid list.  Not anymore!  I came across a recipe on David Lebovitz's site for chocolate ice cream sweetened with agave nectar and I knew I had to try it.  My best friend has an ice cream maker attachment for the Kitchenaid Mixer, and I was so excited when she went out of town and let me borrow it.

Agave nectar is a relatively new "discovery", and it's made from the Mexican agave plant.  Its consistency is similar to that of honey, but runnier, and the flavor is more mild.  It makes an excellent sweetener and it's low on the glycemic index, so it won't spike your blood sugar like white sugar does (but remember that it's still a sugar and should still be limited).  I suppose you could label this ice cream "sugar free". 

Agave nectar can be pricey, but I've found it well within budget at Trader Joe's.  You can buy a darker agave nectar or a light; I used the light.

I found this recipe to be rich in flavor, and if I make it again I might cut back on some of the cocoa powder or even the chocolate.  It's a putsy recipe with several steps, but it melts like velvet in your mouth, so I'd say it's worth the effort.  I made the mistake of not letting the freezer bowl freeze long enough before I put the mixture in, so it didn't freeze correctly for me.  Just be aware of that. 

Here is where you can find the recipe.  Oh, and look at that, here's another recipe for strawberry ice cream that gives instructions for using agave nectar, and it's dairy free.  Enjoy and happy summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment