Monday, July 19, 2010

Creamy Orange Juice Popsicles

My kids looooove popsicles.  But I don't love the corn syrup and artificial flavorings and colors they contain.  The colors are so strong they have been known to stain my kitchen table, not to mention clothing and anything else it gets on. 

I took the kids shopping and we found some popsicle molds so we can make our own more wholesome versions at home.  We went crazy the first couple of weeks trying out new flavors, and also learned what not to do.  Freezing straight up juice makes the popsicle into a block of ice.  Not that the kids care, but it's nicer to have something that you can bite into without breaking a tooth. 

I read that in order to have a softer popsicle you need at least some liquid sweetener and/or gelatin.  This recipe includes gelatin, and it had good results.  There is not too much cream in these, just enough to round out the acidity of the orange juice and make it a little more mouth watering, but you could change the ratios and add more so that it tastes more akin to a "dreamsicle".


Sugars are not all made equally, and I'm aware that pasteurized juices are not much better than white sugar, but for me and the kids it's a lesser of two evils kind of thing.  We'll take the juice!  This recipe was adapted from a popsicle made with fresh carrot juice.  Imagine that...  I don't have a juicer or I would have tried it myself.  

I think this one's a keeper.

Creamy Orange Popsicles

1 3/4 cup orange juice, divided
1/4 cream
2 tsp honey
1 tsp unflavored gelatin

Heat 1/2 cup of the OJ with the gelatin in a small saucepan, stirring until dissolved.  In a small bowl or pitcher, whisk together the remaining OJ, honey, and cream.  Add gelatin mixture and stir until smooth.  Pour into 4 popsicle molds and freeze for around 3 hours before unmolding under warm water.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip. I don't know where to start looking for molds

    ReplyDelete